FieldHaven Feline Center’s foster families are special people who provide love, care, and socialization for cats and kittens waiting for homes. Foster families allow us to rescue more cats and kittens by alleviating overcrowding in our shelter, thereby saving more lives. Foster families provide temporary care for kittens or cats in their own homes until they are adopted. This may be for a few weeks or a few months.
The most common reasons our cats are in foster care are:
- They are too young to be spayed or neutered and adopted
- Mom cats have new litters of nursing babies
- They are recovering from medical procedures, injuries, or illness
Fostering is fun, rewarding, and truly saves lives. Interested in becoming a foster caregiver? Check out our basic requirements and FAQs, or if you’re ready right now, fill out the foster application to get started. Our team will contact you and walk you through the process, staying by your side all the way though adoption. No experience required! We provide the training and resources, you provide the temporary home and care. We also have a variety of resources at the bottom of the page for a more detailed look at the program and foster care guidance overall.
Training and support for foster family success
All veterinary care and medicines (if necessary)
Supplemental items, e.g. blankets, scratching posts, toys, etc.
Foster Families Provide
Daily care in a safe home environment
Time and energy for lots of play, love, and socialization
Administering of medicine (if necessary)
Regular reports on the foster feline’s progress and personality to the foster care manager and medical staff
On occasion, transport your foster to FieldHaven Feline Center when needed for vaccines, vet checks, etc.
- Planning for Foster Kittens – by The Kitten Lady
- Kitten Care Webinar Series: Free Educational Training for Foster Parents – by The Kitten Lady
- Helping Feral Kittens Become Friendly – by The Kitten Lady
- Video: 5 Tips for Your New Foster – by Jackson Galaxy
- Video: Goodbye is the Goal of Fostering – by The Kitten Lady
- View upcoming events, including foster meetings and training