FieldHaven Animal Sheltering Team (FHAST)
Caring for Pets and Their People During Disasters
Our disaster response team has responded to disaster incidents for over a decade. Whether the incident is relatively small (a hoarding situation) or gargantuan, FHAST is ready to deploy our experienced team on short notice.
We are typically able to set up a shelter for cats and pocket pets within a matter of hours of the initial call for help. Our priorities are the safety and comfort of the animals we are caring for and offering compassion to their owners. As cat experts, we know how to make even the most fearful cats feel relatively comfortable in a shelter setting.
We have veterinary staff onsite as needed. When extended care is necessary, we utilize full-service veterinary clinics in the area.
Please join our volunteer team for FHAST! We welcome people with a variety of skills. Here are some of the skills we need for any disaster shelter:
- Customer service
- Veterinarians and veterinary technicians/assistants
- Cat care and cleaning
- IT support
- Communications and social media
- Fundraising and donation procurement
Requirements for FHAST Volunteers
- Must complete all required trainings for FHAST
- Mandatory FEMA ICS (Incident Command System) courses, which are online and free.
- IS-10.A: Animals in Disasters: Awareness and Preparedness
- IS-11.A: Animals in Disasters: Community Planning
- Must complete the mandatory Yuba Office of Emergency Services swearing in
- Must complete Live Scan
- Must provide proof of clean DMV record
- Most provide proof of insurance
Please note: There is a one-time $50 administration for volunteers, which includes a name badge and a t-shirt.