2014 Annual Report
Educating our community on responsible pet ownership while providing safe haven for cats and kittens in transition to new lives in permanent homes.
- Started “Summer Camp for Kittens” to help unsocialized kittens at the shelter become comfortable with humans.
- Launched “Spectacular Senior September” campaign to help our senior cats find homes.
- The “September 60 Project” came about when FieldHaven Feline Center rescued about sixty cats and kittens living in a hoarding situation.
- FieldHaven Feline Center Provides a Safe Haven for Cats – Good Day Sacramento, July 27, 2014
- Nearly 60 Cats Rescued from Home Near Lincoln – KCRA Channel 3, October 5, 2014
- Neglected Cats Get Second Chance at Life – CBS Channel 13 Sacramento, October 18, 2014
- Local Animal Shelter Rescues Dozens of Cats from an Overcrowded Home – Good Day Sacramento, Parts 1 & 2
Summer Camp for Kittens
Summer Camp for Kittens was an innovative idea to help the unsocialized kittens at the shelter, many of which found in feral colonies, become comfortable with humans. We send out a plea for “camp counselors” and received a tremendous response! Children, mothers, fathers, grandparents, and whole families came out to hold, pet, and play with the kittens. Thanks to our camp counselors, many litters of kittens left the camp loving, purring, and social – in short, perfect for any home!
Spectacular Senior September was a month-long campaign to help our senior cats find homes. We spotlighted all of our senior cats in emails and on our website, offering adoption specials like a free bag of food courtesy of Royal Canin, free cat toys from PetSmart, and of course, our Purrfectly Priceless Adoption Program and membership to our FieldHaven Spa.
September 60 Project
The September 60 Project came about towards the end of September when FieldHaven was made aware of a tragic hoarding situation of nearly sixty seriously ill cats and kittens were living in a small yard. Some had debilitating eye problems and required surgery. We came together as a group and decided to take the project on. With the exception of two kittens needing euthanasia, all cats and kittens were brought to good help, became well socialized, and found good homes. Special thanks to all of the donors and volunteers who made it possible for us to complete this project, including PetSmart Charities for providing an emergency relief grant.
New Programs Update
How are our new programs from 2013 faring?
Our Venture Into Dog Rescue
We continued the venture by taking in a few dogs in 2014. Roxie’s story began on March 10, when FieldHaven received a call from VCA Loomis Basin Veterinary Hospital about a small dog who had been hit by a car. She had a broken right leg, but her owners were not in a position to pay for her badly-needed surgery, so they surrendered her to be euthanized.
We were able to save her by using funds from our Tenth Life Club fund and with the help of veterinarians and staff at VCA Loomis Basin and Placer County Animal Services. After Roxie’s surgery, she recovered in one of our foster homes, then she found her real home.
Snap It Up! Thrift Shop
Launched in October 2013, the shop continues to be an amazingly successful asset to our organization. We added an assistant manager, Corinna Kirk, to the staff and a full group of volunteers who report it’s a fun and rewarding place to work. Snap It Up! continues to showcase select adoptable cats and kittens to shoppers. It is a great hub for participating in downtown Lincoln events.
Courtesy Waitlist Program
People in need of rehoming a pet have the opportunity to post a listing on FieldHaven’s website. This service allows us to expand the capacity of our shelter.
Destination FieldHaven Spa
Our FieldHaven Spa program was so successful in 2013, we decided to extend it another year. Adopted cats and kittens receive a monthly weigh-in, nail trim, and flea treatment.
Purrfectly Priceless Adoption Program
Another successful program started in 2013 we’ve extended, the Purrfectly Priceless Adoption Program allows adopters of cats over the age of six months to name their own adoption fee.
Cats who may otherwise be labeled “unadoptable” have opportunities for placement in a barn, ranch, warehouse, or wherever rodents may inhabit. We provide adopters with all of the tools and directions to have a safe and successful relocation.
Spay/Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP) & Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR)
Our Spay/Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP) helps members of the community and caretakers of outdoor cat communities with spay/neuter funding, trapping, and resources.
Thank you to PetSmart Charities for providing emergency relief funds for the September 60 project cats and to our veterinary partners, Animal Spay & Neuter, Animal Eye Center, and VCA Loomis Basin Veterinary Clinic. We continue to value our business partnership with PetSmart Lincoln, our satellite adoption center. We continue to be a training and observation site for visiting vets from the UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program.
Our Monthly Giving Program offers program members a beautifully written monthly letter with a 4” x 6” photo of our cat of the month.
The Buy-a-Brick Program is a great way to visibly memorialize a friend, relative, or favorite pet and be reminded of them at the entrance to FieldHaven Feline Center.
Workplace Giving is where companies match employee donations made to the non-profit organization of one’s choice. Many local companies offer such programs.
The Tenth Life Club Fund provides life-saving veterinary care to cats in crisis.
Classics, Cats & Cabernet is our immensely successful annual onsite fundraiser. In 2014, we raised over $80,000.
- February 14 – 16 – PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend
- April 5 – Spring Fling Bake Sale Fundraiser at Snap It Up! Thrift Shop
- May 3 – 4 – Lynn Willingham Book Sale Benefit for FieldHaven
- May 2 – 4 – PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend
- May 18 – Loomis Basin Equine Medical Center open house
- June 21 – Classics, Cats & Cabernet
- June 28 – FieldHaven is honored to participate in the Business of Saving Lives Conference, a three-day training session at Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe
- July 12 – Christmas in July BBQ & Ice Cream Party at Snap It Up! Thrift Shop
- August 5 – Great coverage in Style Magazine
- August 15 – Kitty Rescue Roundup Adoption Event at PetSmart Lincoln: a success with ten adoptions!
- September – Spectacular Senior September Campaign to help senior kitties be adopted
- September 12 – 14 – PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend
- September 19 – FieldHaven assists animal evacuees from the King Fire
- October 2 – Father Bill from St. James Church provides a blessing of the animals
- October 23 – Champy starts his Facebook page
- October 26 – Best Friends National Conference in Las Vegas, NV
- November 14 – 16 – PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend
- November 15 – Champy becomes FieldHaven’s official spokescat and ambassador
- December 24 – 2nd Annual Christmas Eve Pet Food Pantry for Lincoln’s pets
Adoption Fees: $23,388
Fundraising Events: $85,355
Thrift Store: $114,732
Total Income: $530,077
Animal and Shelter: $106,637
General & Administrative: $70,395
Program Expenses: $18,840
Thrift Store: $78,592
Total Expenses: $378,129
* This is a partial, unaudited financial presentation for FieldHaven Feline Center, Inc. Additional information regarding the financial condition of the organization is available upon request.
We couldn’t survive without our volunteers! Each one brings their own unique brand of experience, knowledge, talent, and skills to perform a variety of much needed tasks at FieldHaven, including:
- Administrative counseling
- Animal care
- Cat socialization
- Community/Cat Assistance Team (CAT)
- Education outreach
- Marketing support and media relations
- Office and administrative work
- Thrift store retail
- Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) team
Our volunteers are the heart of our day-to-day operations at FieldHaven – we love them!
With the help from FieldHaven’s Tenth Life Club Fund and wonderful donors, these animals were able to receive life-saving surgeries in 2014.