- Started “Summer Camp for Kittens” to help the unsocialized kittens at the shelter become comfortable with humans.
- Launched “Spectacular Senior September” campaign to help our senior cats find homes.
- “The September 60 Project” came about when FieldHaven rescued about 60 cats & kittens living in a hoarding situation.
- FieldHaven Feline Center Provides a Safe Haven for Cats – Good Day Sacramento, July 27, 2014
- Nearly 60 Cats Rescued from Home Near Lincoln – KCRA Channel 3, October 5, 2014
- Neglected Cats Get Second Chance at Life – CBS Channel 13 Sacramento, October 18, 2014
- Local Animal Shelter Rescues Dozens of Cats from an Overcrowded Home – Good Day Sacramento, Parts 1 & 2
Roberta Peterson, DVM
Mira Bogen-Sanchez, DVM
Alex Rensing, DVM
Julie Anderson, Program Manager
Jen Paul, Program Manager
Jen Kliewer, Thrift Shop Manager
Benay Clark, Animal Care Assistant
Corinna Kirk, Thrift Shop Assistant Manager
Natalie Mark, Animal Care Coordinator
Caitlin Klein, Animal Care Coordinator
Summer Camp for Kittens was an innovative idea to help the unsocialized kittens at the shelter (many found in feral colonies) get comfortable with humans. So we sent out a plea for ‘camp counselors’ and got a tremendous response! From children to grandmas, moms, pops and whole families came out to hold, pet and play with the kittens. Thanks to our camp counselors, many litters of kittens left the camp loving, purring & social — in short, perfect for any home.
Spectacular Senior September was a month-long campaign to try and help our senior cats find homes. We spotlighted all of our senior cats in emails and on the website and were able to offer adoption specials such as a free bag of food thanks to Royal Canin, free cat toys from PetSmart, and of course our “Purrfectly Priceless Adoption Fees” and membership in our “FieldHaven Spa.”
“The September 60 Project” came about towards the end of September when FieldHaven was made aware of a tragic hoarding situation whereupon close to 60 very ill cats and kittens were living in a small yard. Some had debilitating eye problems and needed surgery. We came together as a group and decided to take this project on. With the exception of two kittens needing euthanasia, all cats & kittens were brought to good health, became well socialized and found good homes. With special thanks to all the donors and volunteers who made it possible for us to do this project including PetSmart Charities for providing an Emergency Relief grant. You can learn more here.
New Program Updates
Programs new in 2013—how are they faring?
Our Venture Into Dog Rescue
We continued the venture, taking in a few dogs in 2014. Roxie’s Story began on March 10th, when FieldHaven received a call from VCA Loomis Basin Veterinary Hospital about a small dog who had been hit by a car. She had a broken right leg but her owners were not in a position to pay for her badly needed surgery, so they surrendered her to be euthanized. We were able to save her using funds from our “Tenth Life Club Fund” and with the help of the veterinarians and staff at VCA Loomis Basin and Placer County Animal Services. After Roxie’s surgery, she recovered in one of our foster homes, then found her real home!
Snap it Up! Thrift Shop
Launched in October 2013, the shop is continuing to be an amazingly successful asset to our organization. We added an assistant manager, Corinna Kirk, to the staff and have a full compliment of volunteers who report that it’s a fun and rewarding place to work. The shop continues to showcase select adoptable cats and kittens to shoppers and is a great hub for participating in downtown Lincoln events.
Destination FieldHaven Spa: Our FieldHaven Spa program was so successful in 2013, we decided to extend it another year! Adopted kitties get a monthly weigh-in, nail trim and flea treatment.
Purrfectly Priceless Adoption Program: This is another successful program started in 2013 that we’ve extended. Adopters of cats over six months of age can name their own adoption fee.
Rodent Raiders: Cats that may be labeled “unadoptable” have opportunities at FieldHaven for placement in a barn, ranch, warehouse or wherever rodents may inhabit. We provide adopters with all the tools and direction to do a safe, successful relocation.
Foster Program: Our foster care ‘parents’ take in cats and kittens needing temporary refuge while awaiting adoption.
CAT Team (Community/Cat Assistance Team): Our CAT staff offers solutions based on the philosophy that all cats are best served by keeping them in their homes or outdoor communities rather than sending them to shelters or rehoming them.
Courtesy Listings: People needing to rehome a pet have the opportunity to post a listing on FieldHaven’s Website. This service allows us to expand the capacity of our shelter.
Thanks to PetSmart Charities® for providing emergency relief funds for the “September 60” project cats. Thank you to our Veterinary partners – Animal Spay and Neuter, Animal Eye Center and VCA Loomis Basin Veterinary Clinic. We continue to value our business partnership with PetSmart Lincoln – our satellite adoption center. We continue to be a training/observation site for visiting vets from the UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program.
Our Monthly Giving Program offers program members a beautifully written monthly letter with 4”x6” photo of our cat of the month. Memberships held steady.
The Buy-a-Brick Program is a great way to visibly memorialize a friend, relative or favorite pet and be reminded of them at the entrance to FieldHaven.
Workplace Giving is where companies match employee donations made to the nonprofit organization of one’s choice. Many local companies offer such programs.
The Tenth Life Club Fund provides life-saving veterinary care to cats in crisis.
Classics, Cats & Cabernet is our very successful annual on-site fundraiser. This year we raised over $80K.
To improve the human-animal bond and to ensure every cat in Our Community has a safe place to live.
- 2/14-16 – PetSmart Charities® National Adoption Weekend
- 4/5 – Spring Fling bake sale fundraiser at Snap it Up!
- 5/3-4 – Lynn Willingham book sale benefit for FieldHaven
- 5/2-4 – PetSmart Charities® National Adoption Weekend
- 5/18 – Loomis Basin Equine Medical Center open house
- 6/21 – Classics, Cats & Cabernet
- 6/28 – FieldHaven was honored to participate in the Business of Saving Lives conference, a 3-day training session at Helen Woodward Animal Center in Rancho Santa Fe.
- 7/12 – ‘Christmas in July’ BBQ and ice cream party at Snap it Up!
- 8/5 – Great coverage in Style Magazine
- 8/15 – ‘Kitty Rescue Roundup’ adoption event, Lincoln PetSmart. A success with 10 adoptions.
- September – “Spectacular Senior September” campaign to help get our senior kitties adopted
- 9/12-14 – PetSmart Charities® National Adoption Weekend
- 9/19 – FieldHaven assists animal evacuees of the King Fire
- 10/2 – Father Bill from St. James came for the blessing of the animals
- 10/23 – Champy has a Facebook page
- 10/26 – Best Friends National Conference in Las Vegas
- 11/14-16 – PetSmart Charities® National Adoption Weekend
- 11/15 – Champy becomes the official FieldHaven spokescat & ambassador.
- 12/24 – 2nd Annual Christmas Eve Pet Food Pantry for Lincoln’s pets
Adoption Fees: $23,388
Fundraising Events: $85,355
Thrift Store: $114,732
Total Income: $530,077
Animal and Shelter: $106,637
General & Administrative: $70,395
Program Expenses: $18,840
Thrift Store: $78,592
Total Expenses: $378,129
* This is a partial, unaudited financial presentation for FieldHaven Feline Center, Inc. Additional information regarding the financial condition of the organization is available upon request.
We couldn’t survive without our volunteers! Each one brings their own unique brand of experience, knowledge, talent and skills to perform a variety of much needed tasks at FieldHaven, including:
- Adoption counseling
- Animal care
- Office & administrative
- Marketing support/media relations
- CAT (Community/Cat Assistance Team)
- Thrift store retail
- Foster homes
- Cat socialization
- TNR team
- Education Outreach
Our volunteers are the heart of our day-to-day operations at FieldHaven – we love them!
With help from FieldHaven’s TLC Fund and wonderful donors, these animals were able to have life-saving surgery in 2014.