FieldHaven Feline Center Executive Director
This is a unique opportunity to lead a dynamic nonprofit rescue organization based in Lincoln, CA, which is dedicated to finding humane, lifesaving solutions for cats. You will work closely with a well-connected and committed Board of Directors, a visionary founder who is ready to hand over the reins to a new leader, along with a dedicated staff and a passionate team of volunteers, to expand our lifesaving work.
If you have a passion for saving cats and a track record of successful leadership, we invite you to apply for the role of Executive Director (ED) of FieldHaven Feline Center.
Qualifications & Duties
The ED of FieldHaven is responsible for overseeing the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission. This includes leading and managing the team, ensuring sound planning, fundraising, implementation of best practices, and the delivery of quality services and animal care. The primary focus is to achieve lifesaving goals and meet fundraising objectives to ensure the organization’s sustainability.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Passion for and a deep commitment to the mission of FieldHaven
- Substantial experience that includes demonstrated past successes in leadership and fundraising.
Important areas of demonstrated past experiences and skills include:
- Leadership of organizations in the nonprofit or for-profit business sector with success in establishing and achieving goals.
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Community engagement, communications and marketing
- Effectively working with boards of directors.
- Excellent communication skills; able to speak to a variety of audiences.
- Strong organizational skills that ensure smooth operations.
- Staff and project management.
- Desire and ability to absorb and apply new information including a commitment to keeping up with the latest animal welfare best practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Animal sheltering and/or lifesaving program experience is a strong plus.
Successful candidates must be willing to:
- Make a minimum two-year commitment to FieldHaven.
- Live in or relocate to the Lincoln, CA area.
Responsibilities include overseeing and ensuring implementation of:
- Animal Care Standards: Ensuring their humane treatment, increasing adoptions, quality animal care, enrichment and medical rehabilitation of cats when appropriate.
- Program Development and Management: Evaluation, planning and execution of programs providing animal care services and outreach to the community.
- Communications: Overseeing marketing and publicity for the organization’s activities, programs, and goals. Along with the founder, being a media spokesperson for the organization. Working with local businesses, community groups, other animal welfare and non-profit organizations, the news media and the general public to convey the mission and work of FieldHaven.
- Development: Creating and working a comprehensive development plan to ensure adequate resources for the work of FieldHaven. The plan should include specific goals for donor cultivation, direct mail, online giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, planned giving, and other fundraising strategies, as well as ensuring the accurate maintenance of donor records.
- Staff/Volunteer Management and Development: Maintaining a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people who support and promote the mission and goals of FieldHaven. Ensuring that sound human resource and volunteer management practices are in place that abide by local, state, and federal law.
- Budgeting: Ensuring the development and management of an annual budget and preparation of financial reports.
- Compliance with Laws and Regulations: Understanding and ensuring operational compliance with current federal, state, county, and local laws, regulations, and guidelines. Overseeing record-keeping practices for animal tracking, veterinary care, adoptions, and personnel files.
- Facility: Overseeing ongoing facility management/maintenance.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience: Minimum of three years of experience in a senior leadership position with strong and transferable skills.
- Location: Residence in or relocation to the Lincoln, CA area.
- Ability to work with and around animals: Allergic conditions which would be aggravated when handling or working near/with cats or dogs may be a disqualification.
- Time commitment: A minimum commitment of two years to FieldHaven.
- Valid driver’s license for the state in which you reside. Obtaining a California driver’s license within 20 days of starting employment is a requirement for continued employment and will be verified. Maintaining a satisfactory driving record is an ongoing condition of employment.
Nature of Employment
The ED reports to the Board of Directors. Working collaboratively with the founder who will be functioning as an ambassador and from time-to-time assisting with occasional special projects, is an important element of the job. At the same time, the ED will be afforded the authority to make decisions and run the organization.
This is an exempt position, which requires a minimum of 40 hours per week and may include weekend, night, and holiday work. There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by acceptance of an employment offer. It is the policy of FieldHaven that employment for this position is at will, which means that employment is for no specified term and the employee or FieldHaven may terminate that employment at any time without cause.
The starting salary range is $70,000 to $85,000 dependent upon experience. Benefits, including relocation costs if needed, are negotiable.
How to Apply
Email a one-page cover letter and resume to: FieldHaven Search Committee c/o Diane Blankenburg of Humane Network at [email protected]. Acknowledgement will be emailed upon receipt of your cover letter and resume.
About FieldHaven Feline Center
FieldHaven Feline Center believes that for every cat in need, there is a solution. We create and enable these solutions by engaging and empowering communities, and providing the needed resources, to ensure that every cat has a safe place to live.
FieldHaven is a non-profit organization founded in 2003. We have many progressive, innovative programs. You can read more about the organization and programs on the website: https://fieldhaven.com/
FieldHaven does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include but are not limited to, hiring and terminating staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
About the Community
Lincoln is a city in Placer County, California, United States, part of the Sacramento metropolitan area. Located in an area of rapid suburban development, it grew 282.1 percent between 2000 and 2010, making it the fastest growing city over 10,000 people in the U.S. Its 2020 population is over 50,600. It is located at the base of the Sierra Nevada with a variety of both summer and winter recreational activities. Nearby Sacramento is the state’s capital and has both a rich history and many popular attractions.